Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Big WOW World, little Paladin

As I've been trying to level up my paladin, I began to ask myself. I was starting to get impressed by just how big the WOW world is. How big is this world? So I went on a quest, to find a WOW blog with the answer and I found one.

Tobold's MMORPG Blog has a great answer. In short he estimates world of Azeroth pre-Burning Crusade is about 80 square miles or 200 square kilometers..

But hearing all the balking about how small that really is, Yes that is small when compared to the planet Earth. But in a gaming world that is still a pretty good size to explore. Has anyone ever traveled from LA to Vegas and seen all that land still unoccupied? According to mapquest.com the distance is 270.36 miles. If you ran at 12 miles per hour it would take you 22.53 hours. Who is going to actually sit there and run it? In a car/horse going 60 miles an hour it would take 4.506 hours who is going to drive that in WOW?

I remember hearing a VERY compelling story once when I was a kid about Dave Kunst who walked around the world. To my surprise he has a website up and a book called 'The Man Who Walked Around The World'. It took him four years, three months and sixteen days, he wore out 21 pairs of shoes and walked more than 20 million steps. Now who expects WOW to have a collective landmass that huge? Even if 8+ million people were online at the same time a vast majority of the realm would remain deserted.

Even if 80 sqr miles was accurate, of course when compared to the Earth it really isn't so big, but in terms of gaming I'd still say that's pretty big.

Just my .02 cents.

Your favorite Paladin,
Adventar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know, its a huge world, and so much running. Running, running , running.